A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2020

Tire Deadlifts and New Year's Resolution

Finished the year strong. I really wanted to push and I also got some presents for Christmas that inspired my Tire Deadlifts.

Light Stretches.
Tire Deadlifts - 2 sets/6 reps/165lbs, 235lbs/6 reps, 325lbs/6 reps, 415lbs/10 reps, 415lbs/1 rep.
High Cable Rows - 2 sets/12 reps/40kg.

This equals my best ever. I used my new Kinda Fit Kinda Fat tshirt and my new Cobra Grips figure 8 straps. No Belt. A great way to finish up such a crazy year.

No one could have scripted 2020. This past year has been a tragedy to say the least. Through all the turmoil my wife and I have tightened our already tight relationship. So much time at home with her and the kids has been wonderful. I'm sad for those who have lost loved ones but happy because of all the wonderful Snow family time. Lets see what happened last year.

2019 was a major year for change. 2 April I released from the Military after 22 years of service. I was having anxiety issues which was having a major negative issue with my physical well being. Enough was enough time for a career change. I was going to take a reserve position but CP Rail contacted me a couple of days before my release date. They made me an offer I couldn't refuse so, I started to work for CP Rail. After three weeks of pure chaos and stress I submitted my resignation. Time to find another job.

I went back to the Commissionaires and was offered a full time position. I didn't waste any time and accepted it right away. Currently I work 4 days with two days off. Work starts at 0530hrs and finishes at 1330hrs. I love this schedule. My stress levels have gone way down. I feel great! The job doesn't pay very much but there will be a chance for advancement later and I can do this job for another 20 years.


I have further separated myself from the Military life by stepping away from the 17 Wing Strength Club. I feel much better for the change. I have joined Goodlife Fitness and I'm having lots of fun getting used to commercial gym training. I'm training heavy (ish) again and plan on doing a Deadlift charity event this March. 


My eldest daughter has started university and my wife also released from the Military. She stepped into an outstanding job that pays well and she loves it. The future is looking bright for the Snow family. 


My plans for 2020 are as follows,

  • Continue working for the Commissionaires and enjoy stress-free employment,
  • Keep up my Powerlifting training and get stronger than ever,
  • Love my family and enjoy watching my kids grow up,
  • Plant our roots here in Winnipeg.
Things haven't turned out exactly as planned but it turned out pretty darn good. Part two of my life begins NOW!

So, this is how my year actually turned out.

In early 2020 Covid 19 hit and changed the entire world. So many people have died. I never would have thought I would have lived during such a tragic event. Fortunately my family has been unaffected and have actually flourished. My wife has worked from home a lot and the kids have spent most of their school year at home.  I love my family and spending time with them is great.

In late August, just before my birthday, my wife and I decided to formulate a budget. During our time in the Military we never did do a budget. Since we have been retire for a little while we thought it would be a good idea. After crunching the numbers we realized that I didn't need to work anymore. My time was better spent working in the home. That said... I am retired. Technically I still work two days a month to maintain my Commissionaire currencies. 

We have put all this spare time to good use. Many trips to the dump and donations to thrift stores make a solid start to our retirement purge. Clearing out and up feels great! Next week we are getting all the windows replaced in the house. 

Here are some plans for 2021.
  • There is lots more work to do around the house. Being home fulltime allows me the time to work on the house.
  • My primary focus is my family. My fulltime job is looking after my family and home. It's amazing to work for what you love.
  • Powerlifting and training continues to roll along. I am learning my about myself as I get older. I don't plan on competing until 2022 when I turn 50. Master 2.
Something I've noticed every year is my years never turn out as I forecast. Let's see what 2021 brings. Hopefully not at all like 2020 on a global scale.

Snowdaddy

No comments: