A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Monday, November 25, 2019

5/3/1 Boring But Big Program

A good friend of mine and fellow powerlifter recommended I give Wendler's  5/3/1 program a try. I've looked at it before and wasn't really impressed. Back then I was smitten with Doug Hepburn's Power Building program. To be honest when you put the two programs side by side the 5/3/1 program seems a little woosy. Now I'm a bit older and not driving myself so hard I think 5/3/1 may be the ticket. I'm sure I'll get great gains from this program but it will take it easy on my aging body. I'm following the "Boring But Big" version of 5/3/1.

Here is a description quote from lift.net

"Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 is all about starting with very light weights while progressing slowly and consistently."

Today I started with Standing Military Press. It went well and I feel pretty good.

Elliptical - 10 min.

Light Stretches.

Standing Military Press - 2 sets/8 reps/bar, 100lbs/5 reps, 120lbs/5 reps, 135lbs/8 reps, 5 sets/10 reps/80lbs.

WG Assisted Pull Ups - 3 sets/10 reps/160lbs (assistance).


Elliptical - 15 min.

Training day one is done. I liked it. Tomorrow is Deadlifts.

Snowdaddy

No comments: