A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Max Effort Squats / Deadlifts

"Ya Betty"! Today’s work out wasn't that long, only 16 total sets. I tell ya it sure ripped me a new one. I'm finding this routine is really working my core as I've said already. I am constantly stiff from my lower lats and under my ribs down to my knees. I spent a good 15 minutes stretching before doing today’s work out. After that I felt better and proceeded.

Bike - 10min warm up.
Good Mornings - 3 sets 5 reps 185-195lbs (still getting used to this movement)
Sumo Deadlifts - 4 sets 10 reps 225lbs (should have been 5 sets, next time)
Sit ups - 4 sets 10 reps
Dumbbell Side Bends - 3 sets 12 reps / side 40-50lbs

After the good mornings the sumo deadlifts for 10 reps felt crazy. It felt good but very intense. Tomorrow I'll be taking a rest before charging through another rotation of this new routine. I'm going to spend the day at the beach. This time I will make sure to wear suntan lotion, SPF 1 million.
I forgot to mention. The other day was my Grandfather's Birthday. I haven't mentioned this but my Grandfather has been inspiration to take part in strength sports. Ever since I was a little boy I can recall stories of my Grandfather's strength. He was never a weightlifter, he just worked hard. One story my Father and Grandfather were cleaning up the garage. There were numerous pieces of scrap steel that they put into an old oil drum so they could take them for recycling. When the drum was full they wanted to pick it up and put it onto the back of a pick-up to transport it to the recyclers. My Father tried to move the barrel and couldn't so he went to the neighbour's to get a drum dolly and the two of them would try and lift it together. When my Father returned the barrel was sitting on the back to the truck. When my Father inquired as to how he did it. My Grandfather responded,” I put my arms around it and picked it up". Try filling an oil drum full of scrap steel and try picking it up.
From time to time I'll tell you about the feats of strength my "Grandpa" has performed. I hope you enjoy them. HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY GRANDPA!

Snowdaddy

PS: I'm almost done honey. I'm commin home.

No comments: