A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Split Squats and Bench Press

The day before yesterday I spent a little time reading articles about how to train around a lower back injury. Several articles prescribed unilateral lower body exercises. Split Squats seem to be the popular choice. I have never done these and it was obvious right from the start that they would be challenging. 

Lots of warm up and mobility work.

Split Squats - 8 sets/8 to 10 reps per side/last two sets with 45lbs bar.

Today my quads, glutes and hamstrings are trashed. However, my lower back feels much better. Surprise surprise. Ok, we're on to something here. Old dog new tricks. Time to modify the program to incorporate unilateral exercises. 

Today I wanted to enjoy some weight in my hands. As my lower body is still stiff and sore and pulling is out of the question it is time for Bench Press. 

Light Stretches and Rotator Laterals. 

Bench Press - 2 sets/12 reps/135lbs, 225lbs/10 reps, 4 sets/4 reps/315lbs, 2 sets/5 reps/315lbs.

Rotator Laterals - 2 sets/20reps/10lbs.
Seated Hammer Curls - 2 sets/10 reps/25lbs plates.
OH Plate Ext - 2 sets/20, 30 reps/45lbs.

Feeling very hungry right now. Time to EAT!

Snowdaddy 

No comments: