A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Monday, March 23, 2009

Squats 23 Mar 09

Another week has come and it's squat day again. Instead of going heavy again and risking injury I decided to do some speed work. No gear, just a belt on the heavier sets. Here's how it went.

Warm Up - 5 min arc trainer.
Squats - bar/6 reps, 135lbs/6 reps, 5 sets/2 reps/225lbs, 5 sets/2 reps/225, 245, 275, 295, 225lbs.

Core Work
Elbow Plank - 70 sec.
10 Sec Crunches - 10 reps.
Trunk Twists - 20lbs bar/60 reps.
Push Up Plank - 60 sec.
Lying Leg Raises - 30 reps.
Abdominal Stretches.

Doing so many short sets I was able to play with technique a bit. One thing I've found I prefer to keep my hands closer together, making the bar more stable on my back. I still need to play with foot position.
On another note I'm eating differently. It really seems to be working. I followed the same "diet" while I was on course in Borden. I call it the "Starch Free Diet" as I don't eat starchy carbs. No potatoes, rice, breads, or pasta. I've done some research on this diet and some call it the "natural diet," "Paleolithic diet," "Native diet," and "ancestral diet." I find it very easy to follow.
While on course I wasn't working out as much as normal and I lost ~18lbs eating as much as I like to feel full. A nice side effect is I don't have carb cravings in the evenings. Right now I weigh 290lbs, I'll keep you posted if I loose any more weight.

Snowdaddy

No comments: