A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Its Raining

Yes its raining. I've been here since the end of January and this has been the first real rain. It didn't, however, stop me from going to the gym. Its deadlift day and I've been eager to put my new training ideas to work with deadlifts. Here is what happened.

Bike - 10 min warm up
Deadlifts - 5 sets 2 reps 315lbs (I also did 455lbs 2 sets 1 rep and 495 for one single)
Narrow Grip Pull Downs - 3 sets 8 reps 160lbs (I do these to "unload" my back)
Good Mornings - 3 sets 8 reps 60-80lbs
Dumbbell Rows - 3 sets 6 reps 85-130lbs

I'm starting to do good mornings, finally. I think this is the link that I've been missing in my training. Westside Barbell has this to say about good mornings. "The reason being for all of the good mornings is because they build up the posterior chain (calves, hamstrings, glutes, lower back, upper back, abs, obliques) like no other exercise." I totally agree. I only did 80lbs on my last set but I could feel that this was a weak point in my total body strength. I most certainly need to add these regularly to my training.
I was supposed to do 8 sets of deadlifts at 315lbs but I was feeling saucy. When I get that desire to pull the big stuff I never say no. I guess its my instinctive training style. Today was a good day to "Dead".

Snowdaddy.

PS: If you can't lift with the ones you love, lift the ones you're with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahh yes Grasshopper ....you are beginning to see the tree in the forest.:)
Good stuff Snowdaddy! If you throw the PowerCleans in before the Deads as a warmup you will find they work great. Keep on liftin.

McLifter