A Top 40 Weightlifting Blog

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Deadlifts (Again?)

Another deadlift day has come and gone and I'm feeling spent, even today. Heres the way it went.

Deadlift - 8 sets, 2 reps, 405lbs. (Ouch)
Narrow Grip Pull Downs - 3 sets, 8 reps, 130-180lbs
Dumbbell Rows - 3 sets, 8 reps, 90lbs

I kept the work out short because of the deadlifts. I wanted to do them for 3 reps but I found them too heavy for multiple sets. I've done 3 reps with 405lbs before but it was only for one set.
I like to do narrow grip pull downs after deadlifts. I find that they "unload my back". I like using this term because it best describes what I'm trying to accomplish by doing this movement. By reaching up and stretching I find it decompresses my spine and may prevent future problems related to lifting a heavy bar.
By the time I started dumbbell rows my hands were SCREAMING at me. I can go heavier in this movement by I decided to go for feel. All the reps were slow with a good stretch at the bottom.
Durring deadlifts at set #6 I felt like saying "thats enough". My training partner reminded me. "If you go into uncharted territory it will force your muscles to addapt". That makes a good point. Training partners are most certainly a bonus in the modivational aspect ot training. All it sometimes takes is a little word of encouragement and that will be enough to push you through the finish line. Thanks Ryan.

Snowdaddy

No comments: